Friday, March 4, 2016

Heads-up!! An FYI list!

With the impending arrival of spring in the northern hemisphere, I have lots of little traditions to follow.  First, I must look for skunk cabbage in bloom -- found it yesterday!!  I don't have to look very hard now that I know where it always can be found. 
This is the "flower" -- the leaves come later. 
I heard the neighborhood black-capped chickadee singing his territorial song at dawn this morning so I'll need to get the nesting box that he prefers cleaned out and ready.  He has apparently lost his mate over the winter and I hope he's able to attract a new one.  I do love having them nest close to the house and wake up to their morning conversations.
Then there is the spring cleaning ritual.
Not quite as much fun as chasing down wildflowers and watching birds.
And it's not so much of a ritual as it once was -- probably because I'm out chasing nature.
But the carpenter called yesterday and he'll be here Tuesday morning to start replacing the windows in my studio, soooooo -- guess what I'll be doing this weekend.
Happily, I discovered that Cynthia over at Quilting Is More Fun than Housework is hosting an Orphan Quilt Project Giveaway Link-up on March 18, 2016 -- click HERE for all the details.  While I'm prepping for the carpenter, I might as well try to let go of some UFQ's.
We could work together and challenge one another to clear out 10% of our orphans and UFQ's? 
Isn't that scary!!!
 
But if I have 40 UFQ's, that's only four.  Hmm, that's not so scary.
Well, we'll see if I can pull it off.
 
Of course in a perfect world, there would be no UFQ's or orphan projects.  Then we would all be able to answer Stephie over at Dawn Chorus Studio's question, "How long does it take to finish a quilt?"  She began a series based on interviews with three of her favorite quilt makers and picks their brains about their approach to their work.  Here's a link to the introductory post and there will be three more installments during March. 
 
I don't know about you, but I can always use new insights into maintaining my work momentum and inspiration.  This quilt behind me is muttering something about it taking me thirteen years to get around to quilting it.  Blah, blah, blah . . . . .
No doubt, I'll make progress on it this weekend though -- anything to put off the cleaning!!
 
Hope you get all the stitching time you are dreaming of this weekend!!
 
Mary Huey






2 comments:

  1. The quilt looks like it is under the needle now! The more you get done, the fewer quilts you will have to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt you're quilting. So many treasures in you ufo pile.

    ReplyDelete